Men: Please affirm this manifesto with your comment (below) and share this with other men on social media and by email.
In vulnerable circumstances and intimate relationships, the awakened male recognizes and honors:
- Women are equal in autonomy and consideration—not someone to use or take advantage of when she is in a vulnerable situation or when having power over her.
- Has conscious interactions with women that preserve and honor their autonomy and informed consent participation—disclosing intentions and desires, seeking input/feedback and waiting for consent before proceeding with intimate interactions and in emotionally vulnerable circumstances.
- Preserves a co-created intention and doesn’t unilaterally make changes to the direction or limits of an interaction without consent.
- Provides true opportunity for consideration of consent before interacting intimately —physically or emotionally, especially with sex.
- Zero tolerance for abuse of women. Preserves a woman’s right to have any experience she sincerely wants to have—and to not have any experience she doesn’t want to have.
*If something is happening to a woman that you wouldn’t tolerate happening to your sister or mother; or if you are about to do something to a woman that you know your sister or mother wouldn’t want a man doing to them—then stop. Say something and do something.
Certainly not all men are abusive—and if you realize that you have been abusive of women and stop it, then thank you! Now get some help to understand yourself better and deeper. Find a mentor, therapist, or coach who can be objective with their feedback and guidance while helping you integrate your shadow. Learning more about who you are and what motivates you is a life-long exploration and process. Seek to know, understand and accept yourself while you grow and evolve your consciousness.
If the abuse is known to you and you don’t feel safe intervening then call 911 and try to get backup to the scene. If you hear of another man planning something that doesn’t pass the sister/mother test then step up and say something, question what he means and intends to do and stand in defense of women from being abused. Women must do their part by not tolerating or keeping quiet about abuse; and men must step up to support them by having zero tolerance for abuse of women.
It’s time for spiritually awakened men to raise their voice in support of women and be a stand against the rampant abuse of women in our culture. This issue is personal for every male because we all have a mother, and most of us have sisters, lovers, partners, wives, and friends, who we care about and wouldn’t want subjected to abuse. Men who consider themselves to be part of the counter-culture, consciousness movement, or spiritually awakened, have an ethical and aspirational duty to do what each one can to preserve a woman’s ability and right to not be harmed physically, emotionally, or sexually. “Be the change” —not part of the problem!